When You spend your vacation at our guest house , You can also watch...
We are very well located in the heart of France. Staying with us, You will be able to see various attractions in different parts of the country. Where to go today... You decide!
Burgundy is located in the heart of France, South of Paris. This is a wonderful region of oak forests, manicured vineyards, medieval castles and fairy-tale stories.
The Château de Tanlay at Tanlay (Yonne) is a French château built in Burgundy during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, famous for its beauty and the setting. The walls are of limestone under tall sloping slate roofs à la française, surrounding three sides of a central court with cylindrical towers at its four corners. The château is entirely encircled by its rectilinear moat and approached on axis across a bridge marked by paired obelisks through a gatehouse (illustration) built in 1558, which straddles the low balustrade and projects forward into the moat. The perfect symmetry of the cour d'honneur is part of Tanlay's serene charm.
The foundations are in part those of the thirteenth-century château-fort. The rebuilding in Renaissance style is owing to the brother of the Admiral de Coligny, François de Coligny d'Andelot (1521-1569), who inherited the site in ruinous condition in 1547. Construction campaigns of 1555-1568 occured during the Wars of Religion, when Tanlay was a center of Huguenot resistance. This warleft the residence uncompleted. Building was recommenced afterwards by Michel Particeli d'Hemery, the surintendant de finance under Mazarin, who completed the château to designs by Pierre Le Muet between 1643 and 1649. Since 1700 the property has remained in the family of the man who had created marquis de Tanlay in 1705.
The construction of the canal began in 1775 and was completed in 1832. The canal connects the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea via the Seine and the Yonne to the Saône and Rhône. The canal is 242 km (150 mi) long, with 189 locks. Today the Burgundy Canal is a magnificent tourist route. By boat or by bike along the shore.
An amazing Renaissance palace on the lands of the Dukes of Burgundy.
The biggest collection of Renaissance murals in France put Ancy-le-Franc in direct contest with the Fontainebleau chateau.
The chateau is a masterpiece of the famous Italian architect Sébastiano Serlio, master of symmetry and of 16th century architecture, who was summoned to the French court by
The Chateau of Ancy-le-Franc is a Renaissance jewel, set in the centre of a large park in Burgundy, on the banks of the canal and only a few hours from Paris. The classified historic monument holds a rich decor attributed to some of the most celebrated Italian, Flemish and Burgundian artists of the 16th and 17th century.
Since July 1999 a team of experts have dedicated themselves to a detailed survey of the inventory and condition of the building to prepare for an exceptional restoration, that will be worthy of the special character of the Palace of Ancy-le-Franc.
Soon the opening
of our own wharf!
In the heart of Burgundy, 2 hours from Paris, the medieval city of Noyers-sur-Serein, classified among the "Most Beautiful Villages of France", combines the discovery of a remarkable architectural heritage with the pleasures of a living city.
There are half-timbered houses, ashlars, pillars and pinnacles. There are a lot of lanes and small squares made of chalky and granitic pavements. There are towers surrounded by the river Serein loops. This is why "Noyers la Médiévale" is called "one of the most beautiful villages of France".
During the day or night, while walking along the main street, no one would be surprised to see riders, peasants, burglars or scholars passing by. No one would be surprised to cross the funny face of a Burgundian of yesteryear. It would be easy to hear a minstrel’s song coming out of one of the eighteen towers standing along the ramparts.
Nowadays during the summer, young Japanese musicians play Brahms, Schubert or Chopin. Troubadours are gone…Noyers is a magic city where modernism and naïve art can be found as well as the Middle Ages.
Abbaye de Fontenay
Fontenay Abbey in Burgundy was founded in 1118 by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, a leading French saint, and is the oldest preserved Cistercian abbey in the world.
Recognized as French historic monument in 1862, it was declared World Heritage by Unesco in 1981. It was one of the first French monuments on this list, which has distinguished the exceptional interest of the Abbey and its natural environment.
After the French revolution, which led to the departure of the monks, it was converted to an industrial use which preserved all the buildings of the Romanesque period: the Abbey Church, the Dormitory, Cloister, Chapter Room, the Common Room, and the Forge.
The Abbey is decorated with a landscaped park which was listed in 2004 as "Remarkable Garden" by the National Council of Parks and Gardens.
Located in northern Burgundy, it is nestled in a fully preserved valley which extends over 1,200 hectares.
Since 1820, the Abbey of Fontenay has been the private ownership of the same family, which continues to preserve this exceptional site opening to public visit all year round. The Abbey welcomes 100,000 visitors each year who come to admire the beauty and purity of architecture unspoiled for 900 years, and enjoy the quiet of a place designed for spirituality.
Chateau de Bussy-Rabutin
Nestled in a pretty wooded valley in the Auxois region, near Montbard, come and visit the château de Bussy-Rabutin and the surprising portrait gallery created by a disgraced courtier of King Louis XIV. Stroll around the French-style gardens and enjoy views of the château surrounded by moats.
The castle was founded in the 12th century by Renaudin de Bussy. It was rebuilt in the 14th century, and the Renaissance galleries were added in the 1520s. It was altered during the reigns of Henri II (1547–1559) and Louis XIII (1610–1643).
Restoration works were begun in the 19th century by the comte de Sarcus, and the property was listed as a monument historique in 1862. It was purchased by the French state in 1929, and is currently managed by the Centre des monuments nationaux. Further restoration has been carried out since the 1970s.
Auxerre was a flourishing Gallo-Roman centre, then called Autissiodorum, through which passed one of the main roads of the area, the Via Agrippa (1st century AD) which crossed the Yonne River (Gallo-Roman Icauna) here. In the third century it became the seat of a bishop and a provincial capital of the Roman Empire. In the 5th century it received a Cathedral. In the late 11th-early 12th century the existing communities were included inside a new line of walls built by the feudal counts of Auxerre.
Bourgeois activities accompanied the traditional land and wine cultivations starting from the twelfth century, and Auxerre developed into a commune with a Town Hall of its own. The Burgundian city, which became part of France under King Louis XI, suffered during the Hundred Years' War and the Wars of Religion. In 1567 it was captured by the Huguenots, and many of the Catholic edifices were damaged. The medieval ramparts were demolished in the 18th century.
Cathedral of St. Étienne (11th–16th centuries). In Gothic style, it is renowned for its three doorways with remarkable bas-reliefs. The stained glass windows in the choir and the apsidal chapel are among the finest in France. The 11th century crypt houses the remains of the former Romanesque cathedral.
Abbey of Saint-Germain, existing from the ninth century. The crypt has some of the most ancient mural paintings in France, and houses the tomb of the bishops of Auxerre. Also interesting are the chapter room (12th century), the cellar (14th century) and the cloister (seventeenth century).
The Clock tower, located in the Old Town
The church of St. Pierre en Vallée (17th–18th centuries), established over a 6th-century abbey. In the style of late Gothic architecture, it has a tower similar to that of the cathedral. Portions of the decorations and inner chapels were financed by local winegrowers.
Church of St. Eusèbe, founded in the 7th century. The nave was rebuilt in the 13th century, while the tower is in Romanesque style.
If the origin of the name of the city is uncertain, in any case it describes the place well. Indeed, Montbard is located on a small mountain that bars the valley of Brenne. Inhabited since Antiquity, the site has known the splendor of the medieval time, sheltering in its castle the Dukes of Burgundy. But it was the birth of a certain Georges-Louis Leclerc de Buffon who made it a famous city. Indeed, the director of the Garden of the King, future museum of natural history of Paris, was born and resided in Montbard. He participated in the economy of the city by installing forges and nurseries. It is therefore in the City of Buffon that you will spend an unforgettable stay. This will be the opportunity to taste the local specialty: the saupiquet montbardois.
The Chablis region is the northernmost wine district of the Burgundy region in France. The cool climate of this region produces wines with more acidity and flavors less fruity than Chardonnay wines grown in warmer climates. These wines often have a "flinty" note, sometimes described as "goût de pierre à fusil" ("tasting of gunflint"), and sometimes as "steely". The Chablis Appellation d'origine contrôlée is required to use Chardonnay grapes solely.
The grapevines around the town of Chablis make a dry white wine renowned for the purity of its aroma and taste. In comparison with the white wines from the rest of Burgundy, Chablis wine has typically much less influence of oak. Most basic Chablis is unoaked, and vinified in stainless steel tanks.
The amount of barrel maturation, if any, is a stylistic choice which varies widely among Chablis producers. Many Grand Cru and Premier Cru wines receive some maturation in oak barrels, but typically the time in barrel and the proportion of new barrels is much smaller than for white wines of Côte de Beaune.
Champagne is a historical province in the northeast of France, now best known as the Champagne wine region for the sparkling white wine that bears its name. It was founded in 1065 near the city of Provins and was made up of different counties descended from the early medieval kingdom of Austrasia.
Formerly ruled by the counts of Champagne, its western edge is about 100 miles (160 km) east of Paris. The cities of Troyes, Reims, and Épernay are the commercial centers of the area. Most of Champagne is now part of the French administrative region of Champagne-Ardenne, which comprises four departments: Ardennes, Aube, Haute-Marne, and Marne.
In the High Middle Ages, the province was famous for the Champagne Fairs which were very important in the economy of the Western societies. The chivalric romance had its first beginnings in the county of Champagne with the famous writer Chrétien de Troyes who wrote stories of the Round Table from the Arthurian legends.
A few counts of Champagne were French kings and some of them were even Kings of France and of Navarre. Counts of Champagne were highly considered by the French aristocracy.
Parc du Morvan
With a surface area of 281 400 hectares, the Morvan Regional Nature Park covers the four departments of Burgundy, which are Côte-d'Or, Nièvre, Saône-et-Loire and Yonne. This granite massif, both wild and hilly, reaches an altitude of 901 metres at Haut Folin, in the department of Saône-et-Loire.
With its vast forests, dotted with signposted paths, great lakes and rivers - ideal for outdoor activities - the Morvan is a choice destination for sports fans and nature lovers.
Nestling amid verdant scenery, the great lakes of the Morvan, which are Settons, Pannecière, Chaumeçon, Saint-Agnan, Chamboux and Crescent, have plenty to delight fans of fishing, hiking and water sports.
A bastion of Gallic culture, the site of Bibracte on Mount Beuvray, south of the Morvan, is Europe's biggest archaeological site dedicated to the Celtic world. A museum on the slopes of Mount Beuvray in the commune of Saint-Léger-sous-Beuvray tells the story of Celtic civilisation, through collections of items found in archaeological digs.
During your stay in the Morvan, take a detour along the little roads, lanes and paths to see the listed site of the Gouloux Waterfall, the Cure Valley, Breuil-Chenue Forest, the Narvau Gorges, the panoramic view over the peaks of the Morvan from the Mount of Justice in Lormes...
A land of history and tradition, Morvan also invites you to visit its ecomuseum, made up of themed houses and associated sites: the House of People and Landscapes in Saint-Brisson, House of Livestock Farming and the Charolais in Moulins-Engilbert, House of Vauban in Saint-Léger-Vauban, House of Oral Heritage and House of the Carters in Anost, House of Rye in Ménessaire, Clog Museum in Étang-sur-Arroux, Marchand Clog-makers in Gouloux, House of Wine and Barrel-making in Ouroux-en-Morvan, and House of Tradesof the Rural World in Tamnay-en-Bazois.
At the heart of a 40-hectare estate, the Saint-Brisson Area, headquarters of the Park House, also offers its ecomuseum dedicated to the history of the morvandiau territory, a museum about the Resistance in the Morvan, a botanical garden inspired by the medieval gardens, an arboretum and an educational path along the Taureau Pond.
When it comes to gastronomy, savour the Morvan's delicious honey, wild bilberries, cooked meats and of course typical local dishes such as potée bourguignonne, a type of hotpot, and râpée morvandelle, a gratin with potatoes, onions and ham.